"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Loaded Up On A Few DVDs



Yesterday, I went to the local Fry's Electronics store and picked up some DVDs.  They consisted of one new release and three old favorites (to replace my old VHS copies).

I'll start off with the three "oldies but goodies."

Two of them were the first and second sequels to 1971's Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood:

Magnum Force (1973), which involves rogue motorcycle cops acting as judge, jury and executioner on baddies in San Francisco.  These guys made Inspector Harry Callahan look like a moderate.

The Enforcer (1976), which pits Inspector Callahan against radical killers (inspired by the real-life Symbionese Liberation Army) and a woman partner (played by Tyne Daly).

I had myself a Dirty Harry mini-film festival this morning.

True Grit (1969) with John Wayne as U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn.  Wayne's performance garnered him a Best Actor Oscar.  It was interesting to see some familiar faces such as Myron Healey (uncredited), James McEachin (uncredited), Hank Worden (uncredited) and Jay Silverheels (uncredited).  While watching the movie last night, it dawned on me that I've met two actors who were in this movie: Jeff Corey and Hank Worden.

The new movie I picked up was the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp Dark Shadows.  I bought the Blu-ray edition. As I knew what to expect ahead of time, I was prepared for it.  Fortunately, I found myself enjoying it (not quite as much as Burton's Ed Wood) and was entertained.  It was nice to see the cameos of original series stars Jonathan Frid, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker and David Selby.  It was also good to see Christopher Lee's cameo as a grizzled sea captain.  It really looked great in Blu-ray.  My grade: A.

No comments:

Search This Blog