"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Everything You Need To Know About Visiting Tsukiji Fish Market

Above, one of the vendors at Tsukiji. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The Tsukiji Fish Market is due to be closed down within the next two years and moved to the Toyosu district (provided the Metropolitan government finds someone to build the new facility), but you can still visit the historical fish market. Before doing so, there's a few things you should know.

Boutique Japan has some tips on visiting Tsukiji in, "Everything you need to know to visit Tsukiji Fish Market."

Above, the styrofoam industry must be thriving in Japan. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I visited the fish market three years ago, and had I read these tips, I probably might not have gone. As it turned out, I entered through a back or side entrance (nobody stopped me) and wandered around for an hour or so snapping pictures and shot some video of the activities. I eventually made my way to the main entrance where a guard jumped out of his office to stop me (thinking I was trying to enter). He advised that the fish market was closed to visitors as it was late in the year and in their busy season. I thanked him (the fellow was just doing his job) and left. I had already seen what I came to see.

Above, a vendor prepares his goods for sale. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After I left, I headed over to the nearby shopping and restaurant area where I browsed around before settling down to a great sushi breakfast. I got seated immediately. It is said that there is usually a long wait to be seated at Tsukiji restaurants, but this time, there were only a few people around.

Above, before breakfast, I had an impromptu photo session. 

To see what you need to know about visiting Tsukiji, go here.


No comments:

Search This Blog