"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What Do The Japanese Think of Gareth Edwards's "Godzilla"?



Since the U.S. and Japanese trailers for Gareth Edwards's Godzilla for Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros. hit yesterday, I was wondering what the Japan-oriented media have to say about it.

Well, it has started.

Japan Today posted:
TOKYO —The trailer for next year’s much-needed Godzilla remake was released this week online along with a new poster for the film. The somewhat campy 1998 American remake of the classic was more of a whimsical adventure featuring baby Godzillas and the cast of The Simpsons. 
However, this new attempt directed by Gareth Edwards looks to be a much darker and grittier portrayal of the carnage that a giant monster such as Godzilla would create in the real world. One of the stars, Hollywood-go-to Japanese actor Ken Watanabe also insists that this film keeps true to the original 1954 version. Let’s take a look.
I am not going to divulge what their "look" results are. You'll have to go here to see! 

3 comments:

Gary said...

I would love a dark and gritty Godzilla. Follow the Dark Knight model for realism and not camp.

Armand Vaquer said...

That's the direction they're taking. So you should be very happy! - A.

Jay said...

This trailer makes me NOT want to see it. Dark and gritty seems to equate with bad "lighting" (For lack of a better term.). I also saw a hint of "shaky cam" on the way. Stuff like that I expect (And accept.) in Cloverfield.

A lot of modern films look like it's always about to rain. (Jacksons' LOTR abortions come to mind.) Sorry, but I can't view movies like this.

The Japan Today article also mentions the incorporation of "contemporary Issues" in the film. I hope not. Too much "Star Trekking and CNN" going on.

I'm not trying to put a damper on anyones' enthusiasm. I just don't care for eyestrain in movies.

As I am somewhat of a G-fan I'll TRY to give this one a go but I have my misgivings.

Search This Blog