"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, December 16, 2013

"March of the Wooden Soldiers" (1934)



Since this is the Christmas season, I was on the lookout for a copy of March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934) (also known as Babes In Toyland) starring comedy greats Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. It has been a while since I last saw the movie and I wanted a copy for viewing.

Above, Charlotte Henry.
Being unsuccessful at local stores, I turned to Amazon and ordered a copy. They told me that it will be arriving tomorrow. My roomie and I plan to pop some popcorn and enjoy it.

The movie is based on Victor Herbert's 1903 operetta Babes In Toyland, but tailored by Hal Roach Studios for Laurel and Hardy. Along with Stan and Ollie, the other standouts are Charlotte Henry (what a hottie!) as Bo Peep and Henry Brandon as the evil Silas Barnaby.

Brandon was a regular attendee of the Way Out West Tent (Los Angeles) of the Laurel and Hardy fan organization, Sons of the Desert, back in the 1980s. I was a member of the Way Out West Tent back then. Brandon was a very nice guy who enjoyed mingling with fans. The members hissed at him when he was introduced at the meetings. It was all in fun. Brandon was around 22 years old when he made March of the Wooden Soldiers. You really couldn't tell he was that young with the Silas Barnaby make-up he wore. He passed away on February 15, 1990.

I am looking forward to viewing it tomorrow night!

No comments:

Search This Blog