"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, September 1, 2017

The Dreaded Las Vegas Resort Fee

Above, The Beast at Circus Circus RV Park in those pre-resort fee days. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I was planning my recent trip to Idaho to view the total solar eclipse, I decided that I would spend the first night in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Two years ago, my daughter and I stayed at the Circus Circus RV Park on the Las Vegas Strip. It seemed like a reasonable place to stay (although not much to look at as it is essentially a parking lot with hook-ups), so I went about to make a night's reservation at the RV park.

They had a special going on for the night I wanted to reserve. It was listed as $31/night. That was reasonable. But then I got a bit of a shock.

At the end of the booking process, they wanted to tack on a $27 amenities (or resort) fee onto the price, making it nearly $60 for one night. I don't recall such a fee two years ago. I thought, "No thanks!" and looked elsewhere. Then I found the Riviera RV Park about 2-3 miles east of the Strip. It was only $22/night. So I booked a space. As it turned out, it was a much nicer RV park than the Circus Circus RV Park.

But what's with these amenities or resort fees?

I did some checking. It turns out that Circus Circus isn't the only hotel that's charging them. Here's a list of the Las Vegas hotels who are charging them and how much.

According to The Points Guy:
If you’ve stayed at a hotel on the Las Vegas Strip within the past few years, you’ve almost certainly been subjected to a resort fee. With tax, this daily charge ranges from $26.88 (Circus Circus) to just shy of $40 (Wynn and Encore), and includes some perks that you’d normally have to pay extra for (like water bottles and Wi-Fi), and others that you wouldn’t (such as pool towels and gym access). In almost all cases, amenities covered by a resort fee would otherwise be available free of charge to elite members, although even top customers are rarely able to get these fees waived (though there are some exceptions).
I was told that the Las Vegas resort hotels started this "resort fee" practice about two years ago.

Well, thankfully, I have a RV so I can avoid Las Vegas hotel resort fees by finding a RV park, such as the Riviera RV Park, who doesn't charge them.

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog