"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, November 3, 2017

A Year Ago: Reaching Metropolis

Above, Fort Massac State Park Campground had spacious campsites. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It was one year ago today that I arrived in Metropolis, Illinois.

I left Springfield, Missouri early in the morning and primarily drove on state highways to get to Metropolis.

It was a nice ride, except the Auto Club Trip Tic was not detailed for the back roads I had to take once I got off the interstate and got a little lost. But I stopped at a market in a small town and a nice girl at the check stand helped out in pointing the way to a different interstate to reach Metropolis. I got into town about a half hour later.

Above, it appears that I made it to the right town as The Beast reached the Superman statue. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Once I reached Metropolis, I took a few quick shots of the Superman statue and headed off to the Fort Massac/Ohio River State Park to set up camp. Fort Massac only had electrical hook-ups at each campsite, but water was available to fill the fresh water tank and a dump station.

The following day, I roamed around Metropolis and photographed the Noel Neill "Lois Lane" statue and toured the Super Museum.

Above, the statue of the Man of Steel. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, the next day after that (Saturday), I attended Noel Neill's celebration of life services.

On Sunday, I headed south into Memphis, Tennessee and reached the Graceland RV Park by noon. After setting up camp there, I walked over to the ticket office to take the tour of Graceland mansion.

It is amazing that this was only the first week in what turned out to be a three-week trip.

No comments:

Search This Blog