"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, October 13, 2023

Ready For The Eclipse

Above, what I'll be using along with a tripod. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

A friend asked me the other day what settings did I use on my digital camera when shooting the Great American Eclipse in 2017. I said I think it was Automatic, but wasn't sure (after all, it has been six years since I did it). Whatever settings I did use, I was very pleased at the results.

One of which is here:


However, that was wrong as I did some checking online on what settings to use for Saturday's annular eclipse. 

I found  a post from Photography Life to be the most useful. It is "How To Photograph A Solar Eclipse".

They begin it with:

When photographing a solar eclipse, there are a few very important considerations you have to keep in mind to avoid damage to your camera equipment or to your eyes. In this article, we will take a closer look at where you should physically be at the time of totality, what equipment you should have on hand, what safety precautions to take before, during and after the solar eclipse, and what framing and composition aspects to consider. Keep in mind that totality might only last a couple of minutes, so if you are not fully prepared, you might miss the opportunity to photograph this rare phenomenon.

Accordingly, I am setting my camera to their recommendations. After reading it, everything (somewhat) came back to me on the camera settings. I now remember spending some time setting the camera's Manual settings.

I got the solar shades (viewing glasses) and guide from 2017 out of the motorhome. I have 3 extra solar shades.

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog