"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Drunk Driver On Pacific Coast Highway



It was an uneventful night of work patrolling in Malibu last night in my "parachute" job.

The fun started after work as I headed home down Pacific Coast Highway. No sooner than I started down the six-mile southbound drive from Point Dume to Malibu Canyon Road when a white Toyota sedan came along side of me. He was in the fast lane and I was in the slow lane. My initial thought was, "This guy is awful close."

I slowed down a bit to put some distance between him and me. I then noticed that he was weaving into the painted center divider and my lane and would apply his brakes for no apparent reason. He appeared to be under the influence of something.

I then called 911 and told them of this driver and gave the operator the vehicle description and license plate number. The operator kept me on the line so I can give him our location on the highway.

During this, another car came up in the fast lane and its driver seemed to notice the erratic driving of the white Toyota. He also kept back from the car.

The 911 operator told me that they have sheriff units at Pacific Coast Highway and Malibu Canyon Road. A minute or so later, I saw a sheriff vehicle parked on the northbound shoulder of Pacific Coast Highway about a quarter mile north of Malibu Canyon Road.

The Toyota then went into the left turn pocket for Malibu Canyon Road and stopped. I thought, "If this guy goes on Malibu Canyon, he'll most likely go over the side and down into the canyon." No sooner than I thought that, the sheriff vehicle made a u-turn and swooped in behind the Toyota and pulled him over.

While it is too bad the driver had to be placed under arrest (I've no idea if it was a male or female driver) for DUI, at least he/she won't be putting himself/herself or anyone else in jeopardy from their stupidity.

Who knows? I may have saved someone's life last night!

I have to give the Malibu sheriff big kudos. The time between the start of my 911 call to when the sheriff pulled the drunk over was 6 minutes, 27 seconds. Not bad!

No comments:

Search This Blog