"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Star Is Born...(or Something)!


Sometimes, things fall right into your lap, be they good or bad things.

Fortunately, something good did.

I was informed last week that I would be working two nights a week back in Malibu. I was a little reluctant due to the gasoline prices, but I indicated that two nights per week would be okay. Before, when I worked Malibu five nights per week, I spent about $40-45 on gasoline every week.

My first night back was Monday night. It was, admittedly, nice to be back in Malibu. I've a lot of friends there.

The item that dropped into my lap was a little acting gig. Yes, you read it right. Acting!

Except for some school or Boy Scout skits, I never acted in anything. A producer who lives in Malibu needed someone for a particular role (I can't specify what it is at present, but it falls in line of what I do work-wise). One of my co-workers was approached about it but since he couldn't do it, he suggested me. So, the producer contacted me.

This involves a reality show pilot (or demo) that would be shopped to network buyers. It won't be broadcast, but it will show what the proposed reality show is all about.

My part in it is brief, but it's a speaking role. Tonight was the night to do the filming. I arranged my schedule to be at the location at the appointed time. I was promised that it wouldn't keep me any longer than 15 minutes or so. I agreed to do it as a lark and, also, because it was a paying part!

To make a long story short (as if I ever could), I did a first take and the director and producer were pleased at the result. But, they decided to do one more for "insurance," so I got back into position and did another take.

Once "Cut!" was yelled, I signed the Release form and got paid (in cash) and I was on my merry way. I did voluntarily share 10% with my co-worker for referring me. Now he can call himself a "Hollywood agent"! The amount wasn't huge, but it was more than what a full eight-hour patrol shift pays. This is even after I gave my co-worker a 10% piece of the action. Not bad for less than 15 minutes of acting work! (Maybe I should've done this long ago!)

The director and producer did have my part done in fifteen minutes as promised.

Later, my co-worker talked to the producer and the producer said that I was "perfect" and he was very "jazzed" that the shoot involving me turned out so good. I should be getting a copy of the completed pilot demo.

Would I do this again if the opportunity arises? You bet I would!

No comments:

Search This Blog