"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, May 13, 2013

Dollar Surges Above ¥102 In Tokyo

Above, it just became a bit more cheaper to visit the Godzilla statue in Hibiya, Tokyo.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.

There's more good news for American travelers to Japan!

News On Japan reported:
The dollar surged above 102 yen on the Tokyo Foreign Exchange on Monday morning. That level was last seen in October 2008.
Regular readers here know that I've been keeping watch on the rate of exchange between the U.S. dollar and Japanese yen from the beginning of this blog.  Many people decide whether to vacation in Japan or not based upon the rate of exchange between the two currencies.  If the dollar doesn't buy as much yen, then a vacation will become more expensive, if the dollar buys more yen, then the cost becomes more affordable.

At the time I last traveled to Japan in December 2010, the exchange rate was around 1.00 USD = 83.7919 JPY. This didn't dissuade me as I was determined to go as I had some promoting to do for The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan.  As the Tokyo portion of that trip was travel guide promoting, I was able to write off those associated expenses from my 2010 income taxes.  Plus, the upcoming Christmas season would be the first without any living parents, a trip to Japan would be a big enough lift to get me through the holiday.  As it worked out, it did.

Had I received the current ¥102/dollar rate then, I would have been able to get about ¥27,000 (about $265) more to spend on the trip.

Right now is an excellent time to begin planning a vacation to the "Land of the Rising Sun."  A visit to Godzilla just got a bit more cheaper!

No comments:

Search This Blog