"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, April 29, 2022

Comics Great Neal Adams Dies At 80

Above, Neal Adams and yours truly at the 2012 Comikaze Expo in Los Angeles.

Very sad news!

It is the kind of news that forces one to shout, "Aw, f*ck!"

Comic book artist great Neal Adams has passed away at age 80. He was the man who created the definitive Bronze Age Batman for DC Comics.

Don Glut posted the following on Facebook:

I just heard the sad news that artist Neal Adams -- who  back in the 1960s changed the look of comics -- has died at 80.  Neal illustrated one of my earliest professional stories, "Goddess from the Sea," in VAMPIRELLA #1. What a thrill it was for novice me to open that magazine and find that Neal had done the art for one of  my stories - and made it so much better than it actually was. And I'm so glad that last year -- finally --  in his Crusty Bunkers comic book shop right here in Burbank, CA, he autographed my original copy of that issue.

He also posted:

FYI, I just received this email message from Jim Steranko: Yeah, I was the first that Chris Adams called with the bad news. No prolonged suffering; he died in his sleep about 2-3 in the morning. Don't believe I can accept it—just cannot imagine the Comix World without Neal. At last weekend's show, a couple fanboys mentioned stories about he and I being adversaries—completely fabricated for PR hacking. Even though we were both hard-headed, opinionated SOBs, we NEVER had a negative word between us. Never!!! And I attributed that mostly to Neal!"

I was privileged to meet Neal Adams at the 2012 Comikaze Expo at the Los Angeles Convention Center.  

I heard he was in ill health in recent months, but this was totally unexpected, at least to me. This is a big loss for comic book fans.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. 

No comments:

Search This Blog