"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, September 24, 2023

In and Around Ridgway, Colorado

Above, the cow pasture next to Basecamp 550 with its giant American flag. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While I was in Ridgway, Colorado for the John Wayne Cancer Foundation Half Marathon and 5K, I stayed at Basecamp 550 RV Park just south of town.

Ridgway is ten miles north on Highway 550 of Ouray. 

Above, driving through Ouray on Hwy. 550. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It is next to a cattle pasture that is notable for a giant American flag.

It is an older campground that has a mix of RV spaces and glamping cabins. The management were friendly and helpful.

I got there Friday afternoon. After resting up after my six-hour drive from New Mexico, I headed into town to go to the True Grit Café where the marathon check-in was taking place. I got my gold volunteer shirt while there. I stayed for dinner and tried their Cajun salmon. It was excellent. So far, I tried the salmon and their chili (at different times) and was not disappointed in either.

While walking to the café, I took a photo of the store used in True Grit (1969) as the undertaker business (actor Hank Worden was the undertaker in the movie). I noticed that the old firehouse is being renovated and expanded to include dining and retail space. It looks to be a nice project.

Naturally, I took some photos.

Above, at Basecamp 550. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, "Madame Moo". Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, relaxing after arriving at Basecamp 550.


Above, the undertaker's in True Grit (1969). Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, construction work at the firehouse. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, the view from my table at True Grit Café. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, John Wayne movie stills and poster in the True Grit Café. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, the glamping cabin tents at Basecamp 550. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog