"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Therapy After A Bad Week

Above, daughter Amber and cousin Maria.

I am suddenly in a writing mood. I hope it's therapeutic!

Amber and I started cleaning out my mom's apartment today. Admittedly, while there I feel that Mom would still walk in from another room.

In a perfect world, I would be a millionaire and keep renting the apartment and keep all of her belongings where they are as she left them. I could use it as a "guest house" or a refuge. But this is not a perfect world and I am not a millionaire. So there goes that idea.

Amber and I had our occasional cry while there, that is to be expected. We also had some good laughs over things my mom said or did. My mom was very close to Amber. A few weeks ago, Amber "kidnapped" my mom and took her to the mall for some shopping. They had to cut it a little bit short as my mom wore out. Generally, they'd go to the mall to shop and have a nice lunch somewhere.

Since my mom was an Elvis fan, I put on some of her Elvis records while we were there. Mom's parakeet enjoyed the company and the music. The poor thing has been alone there since Wednesday. We need to find him a good home. My mom cherished that bird. He is quite an entertainer! He's only a couple of years old. I'd take him, but I have 2 cats. Need I say more?

While cleaning out Mom's kitchen, I found some opened packages of spaghetti noodles. Then it hit me that I'll never have her spaghetti dinners again with her fantastic spaghetti sauce. I'm really going to miss those. Fortunately, I have her recipe books and can make the Wyoming Hash she made so well. Many of her recipe books I bought for her in my travels.

Amber has to figure out what to keep and what to let relatives have. One thing my mom made "perfectly clear" to me, Amber's to have the doll case and doll collection.

One of the most difficult things for survivors of a departed family member is to clean out their home and dispose of their belongings. It almost makes one feel like a vulture. We're to have a family gathering this next Saturday to clear out the apartment. What is left (hopefully nothing will be) will either be donated or sold (depending upon what it is) in an estate sale. Maybe some clothing articles can be donated to Haiti earthquake relief. I'll have Amber look into it. (This reminds me, I have been so "out of it" because of my mom's passing that I have not really followed the news.)

After working in the apartment, Amber and I went to Crazy Tokyo Sushi for dinner. We had a good meal and this was the first time in a while we have been able to unwind and relax. It did us a lot of good. As a biology major (she wants to be a vet), she understood far better than I what the hospital told us of my mom's condition and prognosis. She was able to explain it to me.

Tomorrow, I am going back to work. I still have my own rent to pay for next month. At least that will keep me occupied and diverted. My supervisor has been wonderful this past week and very supportive.

Tuesday morning, final funeral arrangements at the mortuary will be made. I want Amber to be there on the planning so she knows what to do should the need arise. My cousin Maria will also be joining us there. She's like a sister to me. We're almost twins! She was born just three days after me and in the same hospital.

I guess this is enough prattling for now. It must be doing some good as I haven't had a single pang of choking up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you gotta get it out. And it was a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that was me, Archie Waugh. Stupid AIM ID system.

Chrissy Malone said...

love you and amber both. Keep your heads up ;)

Mark Hodgson said...

Very sorry to hear the bad news. My thought are with you and your lovely family.

Part of the stress of bereavement can be the speed at which you have to sort out belongings. It's never at the same pace that you'd like to sort it all out.

Good luck with the guide - I'm Tweeting it up now!

Mark Hodgson

Search This Blog