"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Age and the Changing Concept of Camping

Above, The Beast at the Elk City (Oklahoma) KOA. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Back when I was a kid, camping meant pitching a tent and unrolling a sleeping bag inside that, hopefully, doesn't have a pebble underneath that will feel like a boulder if I should try to sleep on it.

Today, after celebrating the 25th anniversary of my 39th birthday (thank you Ronald Reagan) earlier this month, I prefer to camp in a lot more comfort.

Over the couse of years, I went from tent camping to a tent trailer. Then, from the tent trailer to a micro-mini Class C motorhome to the present Class C.

This must correlate to one's age as I see that I am not alone in this.

"Mr. Outdoors" at Kitsap Sun has an article on "The Definition of Camping Changes As We Age".

He begins it with:
Almost subconsciously, my concept of "camping" has changed over the years. 
I used to think it was all about tents and campfires and S'mores. I once considered bribing a youngster to buy marshmallows, Hershey bars and graham crackers for me because I was too sophisticated as an adult camper to buy them for myself. 
Today, I tend to regard camping as finding a big enough spot to park the Navion IQ. The campsite must provide WiFi and a clear view of the southern sky for satellite TV. 
Every now and then -- more often then, these days -- we pack up the big REI car-camping tent, Coleman stove and lantern, and visit Sol Duc Hot Springs or Dosewallips State Park for an old-time camping experience. More often than not, our adventure ends with soggy sleeping bags and questions like "What in the (expletive deleted) were we thinking?"

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog