"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, February 16, 2018

Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3 Expanded Edition

Above, a vintange photo of the El Rancho Vegas.

Yesterday, after taking care of business at the Gallup office of the Motor Vehicle Division, on the way home I stopped at the Flying J to pick up my mail.

I received a package from Amazon of the expanded edition of Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3 (trade paperback) on the 1942 TWA place crash that killed actress Carole Lombard and 21 others.

I already have the hardcover edition, but new information and 32 pages of photos included in the expanded edition were too tempting to pass up. I started reading it last night.

One thing that intrigued me was the El Rancho Vegas Hotel where Lombard's husband Clark Gable waited while search and recovery operations were taking place on Mt. Potosi.

Above, a view of Mt. Potosi from Interstate 15. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The hotel opened during the previous year and was the biggest hotel in Las Vegas for many years. It was destroyed by a fire in 1960. It was located at 2500 Las Vegas Blvd. It looked like it was a fun place to stay.

Since it has been a while since I read the hardcover edition, I am enjoying reading the expanded edition. It is an excellent read!

No comments:

Search This Blog