"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, August 12, 2018

97th Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Rodeo

Above, the girls' steer riding competition. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Today, I decided to go back to Red Rock State Park for the last day's rodeo of the Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial.

Above, I guess you can call this a parody of the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album cover. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I arrived, I perused (again) the exhibit of artwork by Indian artists. Most, if not all, items are for sale (if one happens to win a prize ribbon, the price tends to go up). They consist of rugs, pottery, jewelry, fetishes, sculptures and paintings.

One painting, a parody of the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album cover by Irving Toddy of the Navajo tribe, had an asking price of $2,800.

Above, holding pens of some of the rodeo participants. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I was able to see more today as the crowds were a little thinner.

It is interesting to see the prices for the Navajo rugs. The lowest I saw was around $2,500. My dad paid under $200 for ours back in the 1970s in Page, Arizona. It's still in great shape!

After browsing around the exhibit hall, I headed to the rodeo arena to catch the rodeo. The pre-rodeo entertainment was by sheep riding by young children.

Above, the kiddie sheep-riding competition. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, after the opening ceremonies, events including girls bull-riding, men's bronco riding and others took place.

Above, what's a rodeo without some bronco riding? Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I stayed for about an hour. I could have stayed longer, but I thought it prudent to not overtax myself and headed on home. Besides, I didn't want to endure any more of the rodeo clown's bad jokes. He's worse than Bob McArthur.

Above, headed back to The Beast for the 8-mile drive back home. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Hopefully, I will be in better condition to enjoy next year's Ceremonial, which will be their 98th (it started in 1922).

No comments:

Search This Blog