"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, August 24, 2018

The Spring Is Back

Above, just before I was discharged from the hospital.

Ever since my July 27 heart attack, I have been very careful about what I am eating. Grocery shopping has become even more of a chore as I read all nutritional listings on the food labels.

I am especially conscious about watching for cholesterol, sodium, calories and other things that might be detrimental. I have not had any beef since July 27 and I have shed about five pounds since that day. My weight hasn't been this low since just after I graduated from California State University, Long Beach in 1979.

I have to confess that I was very tempted to go to Genaro's Mexican Restaurant in Gallup last night as I was craving Mexican food something fierce. I was getting tired of chicken and fish. But common sense and caution overruled me as I opted instead for a turkey breast sandwich on 9-grain wheat bread at the Subway in the Flying J. It saddened me to have to say "no cheese" when I was asked. I added, "doctor's orders." The only dressing in the sandwich was light mayonnaise.

As for beef, I will eventually have some, but it won't be a regular part of my diet. Just once in a while. I might barbecue a t-bone steak next week as a treat to myself.

It will be a month in three more days since the heart attack and am now feeling normal with the "spring back in my step". For a couple of weeks (or so) I was feeling hesitant and had some trepidation about doing anything. Those feelings are now gone. Still, I am reminded of what happened by all the medications I've been taking and the Life Alert gizmo I am wearing. I don't have to see the cardiologist until November.

I got word the other day that I now have medical coverage in New Mexico, which includes prescriptions. This will be a big help financially as just one medication I have to take (Brilinta) costs around $400 alone.

As a friendly reminder, I posted a blog earlier this month on the warning signs of a heart attack by the American Heart Association. The link to it is here.

1 comment:

Lee Pecue said...

Good for you Armand. So glad to see you are on the mend. Sierra would miss you if you weren't around. Continued good health

Search This Blog