"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Gort Is Among Us

Above, Gort is ready to blast someone at the Roswell International UFO Museum and Research Cener. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I visited the Roswell International UFO Museum and Research center, I found that the museum has a full-size replica of Gort, the robot policeman from the 1951 science-fiction classic, The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Above, yours truly with Gort in Roswell. 

This wasn't the first Gort I've ever encountered.

On La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles, stands a Gort replica in the window of Grey Goose Framing at 1170 S. La Brea Ave. I've passed by the store many times over the years.

At the Action Figure Insider website, they state that there are two other full-size Gort replicas in the Los Angeles area. One is at a collectibles shop in Santa Monica. Another is at Fry's Electronics in Burbank. They have photos of both along with a photo of the one at Grey Goose Framing. To view the site, go here.

I have my own Gort. It is a five-inch metal figure that I bought at the Science-Fiction Museum in Seattle, Washington in 2005.

Above, my 5" Gort. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The helmet to the real Gort movie prop helmet was sold to a collector three years ago for $150,000. I don't know what became of the rest of the Gort suit.

1 comment:

Jim said...

The rest of the Gort suit is probably gone. It was made of foam rubber covered with latex then painted with aluminum paint. Foam rubber and latex deteriorate pretty quickly.

Search This Blog