"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Friday Night At Wild Thing Championship Bull Riding

Above, Wild Thing Championship Bull Riding didn't disappoint. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Text and photos by Armand Vaquer.

Last evening, I attend my first ever Wild Thing Championship Bull Riding rodeo at Red Rock Park. I tried to go last year, but it was sold out by the time I was aware of it. This year, I got my advance ticket a few days ago.

I chose the Friday night show as I heard it was not as crowded at the show on Saturday. I don't know about that as it had a huge turnout of people. 

Above, Red Rock Park rodeo arena had a great turnout. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I got there early so I could find a good seat for photos. It was about 90° out and the sun was brutal until it dipped below the hill. Once it did, it was then bearable. Most there were smart enough to bring umbrellas to shield them.

The event started with a couple of games involving the Thunderbird Supply models. Then, instead of the national anthem being sung or played (I am guessing this was done as the attendees were predominantly Native American, not that they're any less patriotic), we were treated to John Wayne reciting his "America, Why I Love Her" that was an album released in 1973 consisting of patriotic poems written by actor John Mitchum, the brother of Robert Mitchum (best known as Frank Digiorgio in three Dirty Harry movies). It can be heard on YouTube. I have a copy of the album, given to me Christmas 2016 by my late cousin Ralph.

When that was done, the bull riding events commenced. They didn't disappoint! 

I was tinkering with the settings on Canon camera and tried out the sports setting, which allowed me to take multiple photos in rapid succession. I ended up taking over 170 photos. The ones below are just a small sample of them. 

Above, some of the bulls waiting for their turn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After about and hour and a half, I decided to head on home. The seats were not exactly comfortable after three of hours of sitting. I was reminded again during my drive home on Historic Route 66 of why I don't like driving the Mustang at night. The headlights aren't that bright and idiots coming in the opposite direction had their bright lights on, which were blinding. I had to endure this for about three miles before getting onto Interstate 40 at the McGaffey entrance/exit. The Jeep's headlights are much brighter.

I had a good time at Wild Thing, I may go again if someone else drives or if I use a vehicle with brighter headlights.

Here's the sampling of photos:















No comments:

Search This Blog