"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Conclusions After Yesterday's Shoot

Yesterday's outing told me that we need to go shooting more often. It had been a couple of years since the last time I went shooting at the shooting range near our subdivision. The shooting area is on Cibola National Forest land. I used three guns yesterday.

Here's some takeaways from yesterday:

I started with my Winchester 1894 .30-30 lever-action rifle. It worked great. One thing that helped was a few days ago, I watched a YouTube video on the correct way of loading and unloading the 1894. That helped quite a bit. I was fighting the loading gate and the video showed how avoid this. It is a fun rifle to shoot. 

Here's the video: 

Next was the Ruger 10-22. The rifle operated fine, but the ammo apparently was old and starting to corrode. Twice a round got stuck. The first one had the bullet partially detach from the brass casing. I had to use Larry Lucier's knife to dig them out. I am going to go through my ammo and check to see if any more bullets are corroding. The ones I had yesterday were Fiochi .22 rounds. I was using my 25-round magazine with the bad bullets. I then switched to a 10-round magazine that had newer bullets already loaded and those were smooth as silk when shooting. The scope I have on the rifle was a great aid and the body shots on the target's silhouette hit their mark.

After that, I tried out the new Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun. I fired three shells. The gun worked nicely. It was comfortable to shoot, despite the kick from the shells. But it was easier to use than the heavier shotgun I used last month in Lake Havasu while skeet shooting. 

One thing that was apparent during yesterday's shoot: I need a shooting bench/table. Some idiot smashed up the two big wooden spools we used as tables. I shot freehanded. I am going to look around for a table to use. 

After this morning's coffee and breakfast with the gang at Denny's, I will be cleaning the guns. Nothing like the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 gun solvent cleaner in the afternoon. Smells of victory!

No comments:

Search This Blog