"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

What's A Shotgun Magazine Plug?

Above, the shotgun magazine plug. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I unpacked my new Remington 870 Express shotgun, I found a plastic rod about 6-7" long in the box. I had no idea what it was for and put it into my gun safe. 

This morning, I did some searching and found that it is a magazine plug used in bird hunting.

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department:

Pump action shotguns are very reliable because the action is powered by the shooter. Apparent (felt) recoil is greater than a semi-automatic. Both pump action and semi-automatic shotguns have tubular magazines. When hunting migratory birds, the tubular magazine must have a plug inserted so that the total holding capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells (one in the chamber, 2 in the magazine).

Since I am new to shotguns (although I had a pistol grip one briefly back in the 1980s before I sold it) it was new to me. 

You learn something new everyday.

No comments:

Search This Blog