"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chinese Wonder Why Japan Doesn't Hate America For The A-Bombs

Above, the A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.
JapanToday posted an interesting article.  It is on the bewilderment of the Chinese who ask, "Why doesn't Japan hate America for dropping the a-bombs?

According to the article:
TOKYO —History has a way of creating awkward situations for future generations. I can’t think of how many times I’ve attempted friendly conversation by asking a Japanese local where they’re from and been blindsided by the answer, “Hiroshima.” I, with my American perspective, will then fall into this comically long pause as I wonder how appropriate it would be to apologize on behalf of my country for turning their city to dust, but the fact of the matter is that most Japanese people bear absolutely no grudge towards America for the atomic bombings of World War II. 
Apparently this is difficult for some Internet users in China to comprehend, as there was recently a thread on one of the country’s most popular bulletin board sites asking “Why doesn’t Japan hate the USA for bombing them with two atomic weapons?” 
Interestingly, when I visited the Hiroshima Peace Museum, the displays dealt with the a-bomb attack on the city as "matter-of-fact" without any anti-American propaganda (at least none that I could see).  Likewise, the similar museum in Nagasaki also dealt with the a-bomb attack in the same way.

Above, the Fountain of Peace in Nagasaki's Peace Park.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.
In my view, I think we are on good terms with Japan because of they way we treated them during the occupation years. They were treated with respect and in friendship. We got to know the average Japanese citizen and they got to know us.

In my visits to Japan, I never met with any hostility.  Quite the contrary, the Japanese are very friendly and, despite their formal image, are quite fun-loving.

To read the full article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog