"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, November 21, 2021

"The Speed Merchants" DVD and 1985 Grand Prix of Long Beach

Above, The Speed Merchants DVD signed by Vic Elford.

Last evening after dinner, I popped in a DVD that was given to me from Russell Azbill, The Speed Merchants (1973) on auto racing (thanks, Russell).

It was an interesting look at auto racing in the U.S. and Europe. It was narrated by drivers Mario Andretti and Vic Elford (Elford signed the DVD case). 

It has to be one of the best documentaries on auto racing during the bygone era of the early 1970s.

Above, yours truly at the 1985 Grand Prix of Long Beach.

It reminded me that I attended two Grand Prix of Long Beach (1984 and 1985). I was fortunate enough to have been given tickets to those events from vendors I worked with in my job as a property insurance adjuster. One of them (1984) included a garage pass which allowed me to wander into the garage areas where teams worked on their cars. While inside, I walked past actor Gene Hackman while he was chatting with one of the drivers.

In 1984, the Grand Prix of Long Beach switched from Formula One cars to CART Indy Cars.

Mario Andretti won both the 1984 and 1985 races. I snapped a photo of Andretti in 1985 while he was sitting on a mini-bike and chatting.

I scanned some of my photos from the 1985 Grand Prix and they are below:




No comments:

Search This Blog