"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, August 29, 2022

Night Drive On The "Million Dollar Highway"

Above, a view of Silverton from a roadside overlook. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

If one thinks driving the "Million Dollar Highway" (U.S. 550) between Silverton and Ouray in Colorado is "hairy" during the day, they should try it at night.

I started heading home (245 miles) at about 5:15 yesterday morning from the Ouray KOA Kampground. It was still pitch black out. Driving south through Ouray wasn't bad, but once I got out of town, the road started climbing as a narrow two-lane road with a major drop. The speed limit averaged 25 mph along this stretch.

After that section of the road, the road widened and it comprised of more winding sections and switchbacks. I generally drove five to ten miles per hour less than the posted speed limit due to the possibility of wildlife and I was driving a motorhome. I did see one deer. Two birds, during course of the drive, flew in front of the RV and collided with it. 

Even though the distance between Ouray and Silverton is 24 miles, it takes around 40 minutes to drive it. 

It was still pitch dark when I reached Silverton. I didn't stop as I knew nothing was open. So I proceeded on.

I did slow to take in a view of Silverton from an overlook and with its lights on, it was a great view. I stopped at that viewpoint two days prior and took some photos. I pressed on to Durango.

I reached Durango at about 7:00 and stopped at the McDonalds next to the train station for a sausage McMuffin breakfast. I also filled the RV's gas tank ($160) while in Durango.

I reached home around 11:00.

No comments:

Search This Blog