"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, August 26, 2022

The Drive To Ouray

Above, The Beast and the Shady Lady Saloon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Right now, I am sitting in the motorhome as it is thundering and pouring rain outside at the Ouray (Colorado) KOA Kampground.

I left the house around 6:15 this morning and I reached Ouray at about 12:30. I only made one stop and that was at a cigar shop in Durango.

Above, a mountaintop view of Silverton. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The John Wayne Cancer Foundation will be holding its half marathon and 5K run event tomorrow in Ridgway (nine miles from Ouray). I decided to go see it.

The campground's restaurant opens at 5:00, so I only have two hours to wait. 

When I reached Silverton, I took a couple of quick photos of the Shady Lady Saloon and sent them to my former roommate Jessica. She was surprised to learn I was in Silverton. Now a restaurant, the Shady Lady Saloon was the last brothel in Silverton. It was built in 1888.

Above, The Beast at the Ouray KOA Kampground. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I got into Ouray, I went over to the county courthouse that was used in True Grit (1969). I wanted to see the courtroom that was used in the movie. But, unfortunately, the courthouse is open on Mondays through Thursdays. So I was out of luck. It was also closed when I was in Ouray two years ago.

Above, the Ouray KOA store, office and restaurant from my campsite. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Check-in at the KOA was fast and easy. The site I was assigned is a very short walk to the office/store and restaurant.

No comments:

Search This Blog