"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

2020 In Review

Above, the year started for me with the Second Amendment Rally at the New Mexico State Capitol.

The general consensus with everybody (well, maybe there's some exceptions) is that 2020 was one crappy year. Despite some bright spots, that was my experience with the year.

COVID-19 and the government's (federal, state and local) response to it left much to be desired. The November 3 election was the most corrupted in history. Vote fraud was rampant, despite denials by the major media. 

Winter 2019-2020

The year started out normally. 

I got electric service installed to the GOCO Beast Barn in January. Now I can keep The Beast's batteries fully charged as well as the holding tank heaters on during cold weather.

Late in January, I attended the Second Amendment rally at the New Mexico State Capitol (the Roundhouse) in Santa Fe, New Mexico to protest the Democrat-controlled state government's infringements on the Second Amendment. I camped at a RV park in the city. Despite bitter cold, I had a good time. On the way home from Santa Fe, I stopped at Supercuts in Albuquerque for a haircut. That was the last haircut I was able to get until May, as it turned out.

Above, workers installing electrical power to the GOCO Beast Barn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Outside of our montly dinner at historian Martin Link's residence in Gallup, February was uneventful. It was just as well, the "fit hit the shan" the following month.

The coronavirus pandemic started in the U.S. and around the world in March. We were still able to meet for our daily coffee gatherings at Denny's at the Flying J, but social distancing rules were beginning to be put in place. Then in April, the governor shut down "non-essential" businesses, including restaurants. We then had our coffees at various group member residences. The dinner group gatherings at Martin Link's were cancelled for several months, starting in March. 


Spring

The planned Lost Dutchman Clampout in Ehrenberg, Arizona slated for April was cancelled due to coronavirus restrictions on group gatherings by the government. 

Above, the Jeep at the power boxes for the house and GOCO Beast Barn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Most of my $1,200 government stimulus check went towards my 1952 Willys Jeep M38A1. I got it a new gasoline tank, master cylinder and brake work, fuel pump, new points, condenser and spark plugs. Since we had to practice social distancing, I spent many hours driving in Six Mile Canyon and enjoying the scenery.

Above, at Standin' On A Corner park in Winslow, Arizona. Photo by Russell Azbill.


My aunt Gloria, who was the last of my dad's siblings, passed away in early April. She had been in declining health for the past few years. I was glad I was able to go to see her in December for the last time.


In May, Russell Azbill and I went to Winslow, Arizona for haircuts. Barber shops were still closed in New Mexico, so we went to Winslow where they were still open. While in Winslow, we went to see the "Standin' On A Corner" park.

Summer

The only rodeo I was able to attend this year took place in Grants, New Mexico in early July (all other rodeos were cancelled). It was the Grants Wild West Days Rodeo. It was a fun event and I picked up an area rug for the living room from a vendor there.

Above, the Grants Wild West Days Rodeo. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Since we didn't have a clampout, several of us members had an "unofficial" camping gathering at Ashurst Lake in Arizona (near Flagstaff) over a July weekend. We had a good time, even when cattle wandered into our campground.

Bill Wilson, a friend since junior high school, came down with a rare blood disorder in 2019. Despite many treatments, his condition turned into full blown leukemia. After attempts to get it under control in late July, doctors told him and his wife Linda that they could do no more for him. He decided to cease treatments and wanted to go home to see family and friends during his final days. Mitch Geriminsky and I got plane tickets to go see him in Buhl, Idaho. But he died within hours after doctors ceased treatments on a fungal infection. We went to Buhl anyway and attended a celebration life gathering at his home.

Above, cousin Maria at my parents' grave. Photo by Arand Vaquer.

Since COVID-19 prevented funeral services for my aunt in April, they were held in July at the Riverside National Cemetery. I took Amtrak to my cousin's to attend. It was the first time I took an Amtrak train. While at Riverside National Cemetery, I visited my parents' grave.

On August 10, I had my last haircut with Michelle at Supercuts in Albuquerque. She informed me that she was opening her own salon in a month or so. She asked me for my contact information and I expected to hear from her in October. But I never did. So I ended up going to a shop in Gallup in December.

Above, yours truly at the Durango train. Photo by Mitch Geriminsky.

In September, Mitch and I went up to Colorado to ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad from Durango to Cascade Canyon and back. We also visited Ouray, Silverton and Ridgway. In Ridgway, we saw many locations for the 1969 John Wayne True Grit. We also toured Mesa Verde National Park. It was an enjoyable trip and we camped in Mitch's new Jayco travel trailer. Sierra also came along.

Above, Mitch Geriminsky and I at the True Grit Cafe in Ridgway, Colorado.


Autumn

In October, I went to Lake Havasu, Arizona for Mitch Geriminsky's birthday. I stayed at the Crazy Horse Campground at the lake. While in Lake Havasu City, I also attended a Trump parade and a gun show. I picked up some boxes of 9mm ammunition there. Good thing I did, since there's an ammo shortage. They were $20/box.

Above, at the Lake Havasu Trump Store.

I had Thanksgiving dinner at Greg & Marlo Lucier's. We had a good time. Also attending were Larry Lucier, Russell Azbill and Roger & Marlis Slape.

Above, at the assembly area for the Lake Havasu Trump parade.


At the end of November, I finally got a new sink and faucet installed in the guest bathroom and a new faucet in my bathroom. The faucet in the kitchen needs replacing, I will likely get that done in the next two weeks.

We had several snowstorms roll through Jamestown in November and December. Since we were again under coronavirus restrictions, nothing much has been going on except sticking close to home. 

Hopefully, 2021 will turn out to be a better year. 

No comments:

Search This Blog