"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Great East Japan Earthquake 10th Anniversary

Above, some of the islets in Matsushima Bay that acted as buffers against the tsunami. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It is now March 11 in Japan. 

This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake (a.k.a. Tohoku Earthquake).

At 14:46 hours in Japan (2:46 PM) and 9:46 PM March 10 in Los Angeles, the earthquake struck and then the massive tsunami hit the Tohoku region.

From Wikipedia:

The 2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Tōhoku occurred at 14:46 JST on 11 March. The magnitude 9.0–9.1 undersea megathrust earthquake had an epicenter east of the Oshika Peninsula of Tōhoku.  
15,899 deaths, +2 (Overseas), 6,157 injured, 2,529 people missing
Above, my dad at Godaido Temple in 1951.

I was working patrol that night in the Burbank Hills when I received a call (or text) from my supervisor telling me about the earthquake. He knew of my interest in Japan and I had brought him a Godzilla figure from my December 2010 trip to Japan. I immediately flipped on the radio to listen to the news reports coming from Japan. Hearing how bad the quake and tsunami were, I checked with some Japanese friends to see if their families and friends were okay. 

I had visited the Tohoku region of Japan in April 2006 to visit Sendai and Matsushima. My dad was briefly stationed there before being sent to South Korea during the Korean War. He had sent a photo of himself in his military police uniform in front of the Godaido Temple at Matsushima in 1951. I had a photo of myself taken at the same spot by one of the locals. Before having the photo taken, I had showed him the photo of my dad there. He found it fascinating.

Above, yours truly at Godaido Temple in 2006.

In the days that followed, I watched the news reports to see how Sendai and Matsushima fared during the earthquake and tsunami. Of particular interest to me was if Godaido Temple survived. Others online were wondering the same thing. 

After a while, we saw a photo (below) posted in a CNN News report showing Matsushima. Barely discernable was Godaido Temple. It withstood the quake and tsunami. Matsushima was lucky, for the tiny islets that dot the bay acted as buffers against the tsunami, so the temple and coastal buildings were spared the brunt with only some flooding.

Above, Godaido Temple following the tsunami (above and left of the word "next").

Sendai had some massive flooding, particularly at the airport, but it was able to recover. The ryokan I stayed at in 2006 is still in business. 

After the initial shock over the devastation, the world responded with aid and donations. My bank's ATM had a special screen feature for making donations for Tohoku earthquake and tsunami relief. I made a donation through this.

It was a night I certainly won't forget.

No comments:

Search This Blog