"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 6, 2023

Star Trek: "Plato's Stepchildren"

Above, the famous kiss.

While viewing some of the Star Trek movies starring the original series cast, I found that some sets Paramount Pictures used looked cheap and obviously sets. Some sets of the Genesis Planet in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock looked very cheap. I still enjoyed the movies anyway.

But those cannot compare to the cheapness of the Star Trek original series sets. Last night, I watched the 3rd season episode, "Plato's Stepchildren". It reminded me that I didn't watch the original series as, even as a kid, I felt the show looked cheap. 

In case nobody remembers this particular episode, here's a synopsis:

The telekinetically powerful Platonians hold Capt Kirk and Mr Spock prisoner when Dr McCoy refuses to remain behind as Parmen's personal physician.

Even the acting in this episode left much to be desired. It was interesting seeing a young Barbara Babcock (Dallas, Space Cowboys). And, the famous first television interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Lt. Uhura. I didn't think it was such a big deal. 

One blogger wrote of the episode:

While much of this episode is horrible, the series managed to slip by the censors some great moments that make it worth viewing.

Well, I'll give it that.

At least the sets in Star Trek: The Next Generation looked better to me.

2 comments:

J.D. Lees said...

I watched the original Star trek series on Netflix a few years ago. I actually enjoyed the "cheap" sets as it reminded me of watching a play on a stage. You have to remember, though, that back in the sixties and seventies, producers didn't need to worry about making the sets look fabulous because the poor (relative to now) quality of the TV image concealed many many faults. Watching in HD, it's easy to see that "metal" was really painted plywood, etc. But to me, that's all part of the fun. I've seen people on-line discuss how they love the Lost in Space Blu-ray set because you can see all the strings holding up the spacecraft. Big deal, did they think the craft were really flying until they saw the strings?

Armand Vaquer said...

Although it was entertaining, I guess I have higher standards than some folks.

Search This Blog