"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, December 4, 2020

Ten Years Since 2010 Japan Trip

Above, at the Godzilla statue at Toho Studios.


While going through my Japan photos yesterday to use in a blog post on Kyoto's Kiyumizu-dera temple, I found that I went to Japan for a combined business and pleasure trip ten years ago today. Man, ten years sure did whisk by fast!

Another reason for going was that my mother passed away in January and the upcoming Christmas would be the first without any living parents. I figured that the trip to Japan would be a needed lift for me. It worked!

The business end was to promote the newly-published The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. It included some interviews and a photo shoot at the Godzilla statue in Hibiya by the Yomiuri Shimbun. I came armed with plenty of copies of the travel guide.

I also went to Toho Studios in Setagaya and had some photos taken with the Godzilla statue while holding a copy of the travel guide.

Above, an article and photo at the Godzilla statue by the Yomiuri Shibun.

While I spent most of the trip in Tokyo, I did manage to take a Shinkansen trip to Niigata, which is on the Sea of Japan side of Honshu. I stayed at the Dormy Inn. One morning, I went to the hotel's restaurant for breakfast and saw (and heard) first-hand Japanese businessmen slurping their soba noodles. The slurping was quite loud in the small dining room. It was rather amusing. 

While I was in Tokyo, I set my clock to 4:00 in the morning to pay an early morning visit to the Tsukiji Fish Market. But an aftershock from a recent earthquake off the coast of Japan got me up at 3:20. I took a taxi to the fish market as trains and subways weren't in operation until a little later.

Above, at one of the restaurants at the Outer Market of the Tsukiji Fish Market.

The Tsukiji Fish Market was interesting to see. I had a plate of tuna sushi for breakfast at the fish market's Outer Market (where shops and restaurants were clustered). It was the best sushi I ever had. While there, I had some photos taken by and with some of the restaurateurs. 

Also, while in Tokyo, I went to see the new movie, Space Battleship Yamato in Hibiya. It was an enjoyable movie, even though I don't understand Japanese.

Above, the Wako Dept. Store clock tower with its winter decorations. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Tokyo's Ginza shopping district was decorated for the Christmas holiday season, although they refer to them as "winter" decorations. 

All in all, it was a good trip and got a lot accomplished. I was thinking about going this year, but the coronavirus pandemic put a stop to that idea. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Search This Blog