"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, October 24, 2022

Son of Dracula and Frankenstein's Daughter

Above, a couple of jolly fellows: Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff.

Since Halloween is a week away, I thought I would pay a little salute to the Son of Dracula and Frankenstein's Daughter.

No, they are not the movies of those same names, but rather they are the offspring of Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi: Bela Lugosi Jr. and Sara Karloff. Thankfully, both are still with us and are in their 80s.

Above, Bela G. Lugosi (or Bela Lugosi Jr.) at the 2013 Son of Monsterpalooza. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


I had met both at Monsterpalooza or Son of Monsterpalooza in Burbank, California years ago. Of the two, I had a conversation with Bela Lugosi, Jr. (Sara Karloff was too busy signing for fans). The conversation ranged from his father's work to when I saw him listed in the White Pages phone book of the Airport Area of Los Angeles. Where I lived, Hawthorne, and where he lived, Inglewood, were both in the directory. I told him I thumbed through the phone book and saw him listed as Bela G. Lugosi. This was back in the 1960s. (I even found a "Frankenstein" listed in the phone book.) He was unfamiliar with Akira Takarada, he asked me about him when he saw a signed poster I had from Takarada. Takarada had a table nearby. 

He is most notable for the legal case of Lugosi vs. Universal Pictures that led to the creation of the California Celebrities Rights Act

Above, Sara Karloff at the 2012 Monsterpalooza. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While Bela Jr. is an attorney, Sara Karloff followed in her father's footsteps and became an actress. She appeared in My Lovely Monster (1991), Deader Country (2009) and The Witch's Dungeon: 40 Years of Chills (2006) according to IMDb.

No comments:

Search This Blog