"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Is BLM Camping Safe?

Above, Arizona BLM lands are indicated in yellow.

Many RVers like to boondock (dry camp) on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands.

RV Travel has posted an article asking the question, Is BLM Camping Safe? For the most part it is. But there are some precautions campers should take to ensure that it is.

It begins with:

Is BLM camping safe? This was the core of a question posted on the BLM Camping Facebook group hosted by RVtravel.com. Unfortunately, the post was deleted before I could review the hundreds of comments. It drew such a response that RVtravel.com editor Chuck Woodbury reached out to me and asked that I write an article on the subject. Upon further research, I determined the original question had a bit more to it, as it asked, “How to determine if a BLM camping area is safe or not for a lonely camper.”

As someone who has enjoyed camping on BLM land for years, I would have responded to the original question that BLM camping is as safe or even safer than camping in an RV park, regardless of whether you are a single camper, a couple, or traveling with other RVers. I would also have responded that while there are natural dangers (animal and weather) of camping on BLM land, which are quickly understood and can be minimized, most people are thinking of the two-legged variety of danger, which is mankind. Sadly, staying safe from others is what this article will focus on.

This article will tackle the question of whether BLM camping is safe in four parts. First, I will discuss what is the BLM and what types of camping opportunities exist on BLM land. Second, I will outline why my wife and I don’t fear BLM camping. Third, I will share deterrents to help you feel safer. And fourth, I will share clues to help you determine if a BLM camping area is “safe” or not. 

To read the full article, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog