"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, March 28, 2024

RV Dump Station Etiquette

Above, Malibu Creek State Park's dump station. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

As far as I can remember, there was only one time I had to wait an inordinate amount of time for a fellow to finish emptying his RV holding tanks at a dump station. He sure took his sweet time. I felt like using Rodney Dangerfield's line from Caddyshack, "Let's go while we're young!"

Normally, I empty mine at my campsite's sewer portal. But if I went dry camping with no hook-ups or dump station available, I would go to Malibu Creek State Park (when I lived in L.A.) or to Red Rock Park Campground and use theirs. They would charge a small ($5-10) fee.

RV Travel has posted an article on how long should it take for someone to empty his/her holding tanks at a dump station and proper etiquette for using one.

It begins with:

Someone recently asked: “How long is too long when others are waiting behind you at the dump station?”

This caused me to ponder an appropriate answer. How long is too long to occupy a dump station when others are patiently waiting?

“If you’re doing everything properly, you can get the job done in less than 15 minutes without even making a mess.” Says RV blogger Jessica Lipscomb.

I prefer to disperse camp (aka boondock) versus camp in developed campgrounds or RV parks that feature full hookups with sewer. Therefore, I am dependent on public dump stations along my route to dump my holding tanks. If potable freshwater is available, too, I will also refill my freshwater tank while I am there. I am never sure where the next opportunity to do so might present itself.

To read more, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog