"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Draft Lottery

Above, yours truly on Catalina Island in 1974.

A discussion on the draft in a RV forum I belong to got me to take a look at how I fared with the draft lottery system.

According to the Selective Service website:
LOTTERY TABLE INFORMATION 
Administrative processing number (APN) denotes the highest lottery numbers called for each table year. The APN (highest number) called for a physical was 215 for tables 1970 through 1976.

The last draft call was on December 7, 1972, and the authority to induct expired on June 30, 1973. The date of the last drawing for the lottery was on March 12, 1975. 
Registration with the Selective Service System was suspended on April 1, 1975, and registrant processing was suspended on January 27, 1976.

Registration was resumed in July 1980 for men born in 1960 and later, and is in effect to this present time. Men are required to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday.

For my birth year, 1954, the lottery was held on March 8, 1973 for the 1974 Random Selection Sequence. But the Viet Nam war ended two months prior.

Even if the United States were still involved in Viet Nam, I wasn't worried about being called up for service since my lottery number was 150 for my birthdate.

Somewhere around here, I still have my draft registration papers.

No comments:

Search This Blog