"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Sunday Drive

Above, interesting rock formations a mile or so from Church Rock off Hwy. 566. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This morning, I decided to take a two-hour Sunday drive in a part of New Mexico I hadn't been to.

The route I took (see map below) began in Church Rock on Highway 566. I went north from there to to turn east on a Navajo road (N11-49) through Pinedale, Mariano Lake and Smith Lake, and then down Highway 371 to Thoreau to Interate 40. This is the area behind the mesas north of Jamestown.



Above, Church Rock from Highway 566. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Most of the scenery along N11-49 was primarily ranches. Much of the area is part of the Navajo Nation. One can tell which ranches were Navajo as each had a hogan on the property. Some had sheep. Some had horses. Some had cattle.

Above, grazing sheep near the intersection of Hwy. 566 and N11-49. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Mariano Lake looked more like a large pond. I didn't see any lake at Smith Lake. I was going to go up to Crownpoint (north on Highway 371), but decided not to. I'll save that for another trip. Crownpoint is noted for its monthly Indian blanket auction.

Above, a ranch up against sheer rock walls. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I got on Interstate 40 in Thoreau. I was feeling a little drowsy, so I stopped at Indian Village in Continental Divide for a sandwich and coffee. While having the coffee, I was wandering around their parking lot and saw a humorous sign. While looking at the sign, a large German shepherd started barking. Yes, he was one "bad ass" dog!

Above, a ranch and red rocks. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

From Continental Divide, I headed on home. It was a nice two-hour trek. The total miles driven were about 64.

Above, at Indian Village in Continental Divide. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog