"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Interstate 40 Traffic Mess

Above, semi trucks lined up at a complete stop on I-40 with the mesas in the background. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This evening, I headed into Gallup to go to Home Depot to pick up a few things, including concrete to anchor the stand for the flagpole (25') I bought.

Above, waiting at the Iyanbito on-ramp with the traffic in the background. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

On the way, I noticed a long line of traffic in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 40 due to he construction taking place at our off-ramp and bridge. I figured that it should ease after a while. If not, I would take Historic Route 66 to the Iyanbito on-ramp from Gallup, which is about a mile and a half from our exit.

Above, the moon peeking above the horizon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Sure enough, the traffic was as bad, if not worse, than it was earlier. A half mile from our exit, the I-40 freeway bottlenecks to one lane, and that's the big problem. There were a lot of semi trucks on the road.

After driving on Route 66, I went to the I-40 freeway entrance at Iyanbito and pulled over to the shoulder (a trucker had the same idea) to wait for the traffic to ease. By 9:00, it eased somewhat.

Above, the two lights to the left of the moon is our cell tower. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

But for the hour or so I sat it out, I entertained myself by texting and posting on Facebook. I also took some photos of the traffic and a rising full moon. When the moon started to rise, it was almost directly behind out cell and two other towers on a hill near Jamestown.

When I saw the traffic ease up, I headed onto the freeway (unfortunately, Route 66 ends at the Iyanbito bridge and ramps). I was able to maintain at least 15 mph after getting on the freeway.

Above, the moon a little higher up. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The construction work at the bridge and ramps is taking forever. The signs on the freeway that the scheduled completion time is Spring 2019. I think it is going to go on through summer, but I hope not.

I decided to go into Gallup tonight instead of tomorrow. The traffic would probably be a lot worse and I just detest sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. At least I am home now, relaxed and having a cigar I bought in Cuba..

No comments:

Search This Blog