"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, May 31, 2019

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" In 3D

Above, yours truly with the "souvenir" 3D glasses.

Just a little while ago, I got back home from the Red Rock 10 Theaters after seeing Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I watched the 3D version.

Since not everyone has seen the movie yet, I will be a nice guy and not post any spoilers. How's that for public service?

Anyway, ahem, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. If there is an adjective to describe it, I would say spectacular! The monster battles were well done and I don't think there's been this many in a Godzilla movie, Japanese or American, since Godzilla Final Wars.

A few good things that stood out for me:
  1. The 3D was better than I would have expected. I recommend seeing this version.
  2.  Memorial Tributes for Yoshimitsu Banno and Haruo Nakajima at the tail end of the end credits was a classy touch!
  3. The monster designs were top-notch. The tweaking of Godzilla's spines to resemble those of the 1954 Godzilla was a great touch. Rodan looked like the Rodan we all know and love as was King Ghidorah. This Mothra was the best ever. 
  4. Familiar music cues from the Toho series were sprinkled throughout. Another nice touch!
  5. Fully reclining seats! If one is not careful, they can easily nod off to sleep as they are so comfortable!
  6. Clues or "easter eggs" for the next movie. Skull Island references dominated them. Stay for all of the end credits!
Bad things:
  1. Obese mothers with kids have to get up in the middle of the movie with their charges to go to the restroom or the snack bar. Annoying!
Some "critics" complained about the lack of a plot for the human characters. I didn't notice any lack of plot. It was fine to me. One doesn't go to giant monster movies for "a plot", they want gratuitous monster mayhem! That said, fanatical "environmentalist wackos" got a good jab in the plot.

My grade: A.

No comments:

Search This Blog