"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Cuban Carved Wooden Indian

Above, the carved wooden Indian from Cuba. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

One of the last things I would have ever expected to buy while touring Havana, Cuba was a 5" carved wooden Indian figure.

Our tour wound up at an indoor flea market/bazaar for some shopping. I had exchanged $130 in U.S. dollars for Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC), which are used by foreign visitors to the country. By the time we reached the flea market/bazaar, I had about seven CUCs left after buying cigars and rum.

Above, inside the Havana flea market/bazaar. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I did briefly contemplate buying a Cuban cap, but had second thoughts since it would not get much wearing use.

As I wandered around the aisles and looked in many vendor stalls with all kinds of souvenir goods, I spotted some wooden Indian figures of varying sizes. The 5" one had a price of five pesos. Since my home is mainly decorated in Southwest style, the Indian would fit in. So I bought it.

I ended up with two pesos (in paper currency) and some coins left over.

No comments:

Search This Blog