"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

American Airlines and Cancelled Flight Ordeal

Above, O'Hare Int. Airport's Terminal 3. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I left G-FEST XXVI Sunday afternoon to go to the airport, I was looking forward for a trouble-free flight with American Airlines to Albuquerque. Alas, that was not in the cards.

When I got to O'Hare International Airport, I looked at the Departures board to check the status of my flight (which was to leave around 6:30). It said it was "on time". So, after getting a drink and snacks, I headed to the gate and waited.

The sign at the gate also said "on time". But there was chatter among fellow passengers about a lot of flight cancellations on the Departures board. I took a look, and sure enough, there were a lot of cancellations. Our flight still said "on time". Many, if not most, of the cancellations were due to Hurricane Barry that was making shore near New Orleans.

About a half hour before we were to board our flight, a fellow passenger was on his laptop and said that the plane we were supposed to board originates from Raleigh, North Carolina. But, he said it hadn't left the ground.

Oh-oh!

At about 15 to 20 minutes before our scheduled boarding time, the flight sign at our gate flickered off from "on time" for about 2 seconds and then came back on with Cancelled.

Since I had some experience with cancelled flights, I knew right away that I needed to get online a.s.a.p. to find another flight. This I did. But it was for two days later. I then went to the ticket agent and he found a flight for the next day around 6:30, but it had a stop/transfer at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW is a main hub for American Airlines). I paid for a nonstop flight.

But since "beggars can't be choosers" with airlines, I grabbed it anyway. The ticket agent said that my luggage would be transferred to the new flight(s).

So, I spent the night at Motel 6 (just down the street from the Crowne Plaza).

Above, at Motel 6. 

The next day, after spending some time at Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights, I went to the airport. After a while, I got a text message from American Airlines stating my flight has been delayed. Since I have a connection flight from DFW, I thought this may cause me to miss it. Then, no sooner than I thought that, I received another text indicating that I may miss my connecting flight. I then immediately headed to the Customer Service Desk.

There, they found me a direct flight to Albuquerque, but it doesn't leave for another two hours. No problem! I took it.

Above, at Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I finally reached Albuquerque International Airport at around 11:00 PM (a day late). But my suitcase didn't reach it. I received a notice that the airline would send it on another flight and deliver it. So, I headed to the airport parking lot via shuttle to pick up The Beast and headed home. I reached home at around 1:45 in the morning.

I received several messages yesterday that the baggage delivery people were trying to get my suitcase to me, but failed for a variety of reasons. They were supposed to attempt a delivery at around 9:00 last night. Nobody showed up.

Finally, at 3:30 this morning, I received a call from the delivery guy stating that he would bring it over at 5:30, two hours later. I thought it was rather "cheeky" of them to call me at 3:30 in the morning. But, they delivered the suitcase at 5:30.

Above, the gate for the flight that got me home on Monday. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Thankfully, I had nothing of extraordinary value (except for my $200 boots) in the suitcase. I had the foresight in having my medications with me in my camera bag, just in case something like this occurs.

What a trip!

No comments:

Search This Blog