"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, March 18, 2022

Where To Go This Summer

Above, the Durango train and the Animas River. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Now that summer vacation season is three months away, I've been thinking more and more about where I am going to go to.

A long distance is out of the question due to the high fuel prices. I have my doubts that gasoline prices are going to drop anytime soon. At least there's a sign that the rise in prices is subsiding. The local Flying J has unleaded regular at $4.159 for over a week and gas stations in nearby Gallup have been holding at $3.999.

My only option is to go somewhere relatively close to home. My favorites for traveling close to home are Durango, Colorado and Monument Valley at the Arizona-Utah border. There are other places to go to, but I know what to expect at either. 

Durango is the closer of the two at 174.4 miles via NM-371 North, while Monument Valley is at 207.0 miles via US-191 North. It is feasible for round-trips to either on one tank of gasoline in the motorhome, which holds 55 gallons.

Above, the Left and Right Mittens at Monument Valley. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Another option is going to Navajo Lake State Park in New Mexico. Navajo Lake is the second largest lake in the state, with multiple campgrounds, two marinas, and two boat docks. They do offer boat and jet ski rentals. Jet ski rentals are questionable this year as the level of the lake is low. It is around 40 miles east of Farmington which is along the way to Durango. I've never been to Navajo Lake.

Right now, I am leaning towards a trip to Monument Valley. The two times I've been there have been in the autumn or spring months. I'd like to go there during the summer. Goulding's Lodge has a nice pool at the campground. The lodge shows John Wayne movies in the evening, such as She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Since Jessica, my former roommate is visiting for two weeks at the end of July, I will see what she'd prefer since she's never been to any of these. 

No comments:

Search This Blog