"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Ammo Shortage Is Easing, But...

We are still in an ammo shortage. However, it is not as bad as in the previous two years (during the pandemic). 

I did an inventory of the ammunition that I have and found that I have plenty of 30-30 Winchester, 9mm Luger, .22 Long Rifle and .25 ACP.

I recently went to Cabela's in Albuquerque and the ammunition shelves were fully stocked. There were some calibers that were scarcer than others. There was plenty of 9mm, but hardly any .38 Special or .357 Magnum. There were also plenty of .22 LR and .380 as well. I did pick up a box of .9mm Luger.

Above, the ammo shelves at the Albuquerque Cabela's a year ago. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I was looking for either .38 Special or .357 Magnum (my revolver uses either) in hollowpoint. There were some full metal jacketed roundnose, but no hollowpoint. I have about a dozen rounds left, but they're old (probably dating from the late 1990s). So, I had to check around online and I found some and ordered. It took me a while to find some for the right price. I refuse to overpay on ammo. Also, if I can't get what I want, I won't buy.

The Gun Zone posted the following earlier this month:

Challenges are ahead! The ammo shortage currently affecting U.S. shooters is not going to disappear anytime soon. This is having a serious issue for those who buy new, off-the-shelf cartridges, but they are not alone. Firearm enthusiasts who prefer to reload their own ammo are also being impacted.

There are a variety of reasons for this dire situation which I will be covering in this article. While it is difficult to see any light at the end of this tunnel, two factors should never be underestimated:

First comes the determination and resilience of the shooting community. It is our right to bear arms, and as such, this right must be allowed to flourish. Secondly, comes the value this market is worth to major ammo manufacturers, suppliers, and the American economy as a whole.

So, let’s get down to some bare bones truth about these shortages. From there, some concise tips will be given on how gun owners can secure that much needed ammunition.

All one can do these days is to keep looking around. There are some scarce calibers, but they can be found if one tries hard enough. 

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog