"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Deck Touch-Up

Above, the touched up deck. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

When I got home from the Idaho/Wyoming trip, the first thing I noticed was that the deck looked almost as if the U.S. Marines marched through on it.

Apparently the torrential rainstorms that hit the area while I was gone did a number on the deck. Some areas were fine, while others were a bit thrashed. My friends up here said that the weather conditions, climate and elevation (7,000 feet) is rough on decks and most have repaint every year.

I figured that I would have to get it repainted next year.

Then it dawned on me that I still had a gallon of deck paint left over from last year's painting. I decided to go to Home Depot this morning to get some painting supplies (roller, roller handle, paint pan, etc.) and "touch it up" at a later date.

But, as I sat out on the deck after getting back, I decided to paint it today. It was about 84° outside, hot enough to dry it fast. So I commenced with painting.

I did the areas that badly needed repainting and once that was done, I took a break. At that time, one of my neighbors, Scott, came over about a beetle problem. These beetles were attacking pinyon pines in the area and several neighbors are banding together to get treatment chemicals to stop the problem.

We surveyed my yard and I have four pinyon pines, with the biggest one at the brick deck that I hang my thermometer on.

We sat and chatted over Alien Amber Ale for about an hour.

Afterwards, I decided to finish the painting, which I did. The deck looks much better. After a while, the newly painted areas will blend with the old paint in the other areas (I knew this would be the case as I touched up some areas before and I can't tell the difference anymore).

Above, Grand Teton Amber Ale. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After finishing the painting, I got out one of the last two cans of Grand Teton Amber Ale that I bought in Jackson, Wyoming on the trip. It was good, but I prefer the taste of Alien Amber Ale.

So, as for the deck, mission accomplished. Depending on how it comes through the rest of summer and the upcoming winter, I may have to repaint it again. 

No comments:

Search This Blog