"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Deep Into Six Mile Canyon

Above, this section of Six Mile Canyon Road had some nice fall colors to enjoy. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Since today has great Jeep-driving weather, I couldn't resist taking a drive into Six Mile Canyon in the Cibola National Forest near home.

Before the drive, I went to the Flying J to fill up the Jeep's gas tank.

Above, at the dead end of the first road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

First, I went on the road that begins at the entrance gate into Six Mile Canyon. I went part way a few days ago. I wanted to see what was beyond from the place I turned around.

As it turned out, it wasn't far from where I turned around that I reached a dead end. So I turned around and headed back to the gate. From there, I drove into Six Mile Canyon.

Above, at a campsite not far from the entrance gate into Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The 2-3" rocks that were put on the road were a little more mashed in from other vehicle, so that made the drive easier. Still, I wouldn't recommend it to people with off-road motorcycles.

Above, the windmill that I used as a turnaround point in prior drives. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I went further into the canyon than I ever had before. I drove to the intersection where one can go an additional two miles ahead to McGaffey or make a right turn to drive a mile to NM Highway 400 (at least according to the signs posted there). I just turned around and headed back on Six Mile Canyon Road.

Above, a cow enjoying some shade. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The road to the "intersection" was beautiful with trees in their fall colors were mixed in with pines. I stopped and took some photos.

Above, pines and trees in their fall colors. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After heading back, I reached the small valley (or meadow) that Nandoh and I went to a few weeks ago, I headed left into it. I stopped at the three tanks that Nandoh called "The Three Sisters" and took a little break. I took some photos while there.

Above, this was a beautiful spot to take a break. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While I was still there, a young lady in a late-model blue Jeep came by. She was giving her two dogs a running workout as she drove along. We said hello and then headed into opposite directions.

Above, the Jeep in the valley meadow near the "Three Sisters" tanks. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

As I headed further back, more people were coming in with their OHV "toys".

Above, the cows in the old pen near the Six Mile Canyon gate. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After exiting Six Mile Canyon, I stopped at the gate and saw that there were cows inside the old cattle pen there. I took some photos and then headed out and back into Jamestown.

Above, the Jeep and the cattle pen. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It was a good, enjoyable ride. Maybe the next time I'll get more ambitious and drive all the way to McGaffey.

No comments:

Search This Blog