"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Missile Launch From Fort Wingate

Above, a locked gate to Six Mile Canyon greeted me this afternoon, although
the missile test had already taken place this morning. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Drat! Missed it!

Last week during one of our usual coffee gatherings at Denny's in the Flying J, it was mentioned that there would be a missile test on or about October 16. I figured that since I would be having a medical check-up that day, I would miss it.

It turned out that the test took place this morning, but I still missed it. But I do recall hearing a loud noise this morning.

I completely forgot all about it until I took a Jeep drive to Six Mile Canyon in the Cibola National Forest near Jamestown, New Mexico.

When I reached the gate, I saw that it was closed and a notice with a map of the restricted area was on it. I got out of the Jeep and went to read it. It mentioned that the Cibola National Forest would be closed from October 16 to October 17 due to the missile test.

Above, the Fort Wingate Missile Launch Closure notice on the Six Mile Canyon gate. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Had I remembered it, I could have witnessed the launch of the Black Dagger target missile from Fort Wingate (which is only about 8 miles away).

According to KOAT:
FORT WINGATE, N.M. — A Black Dagger target missile was launched Thursday morning firing from Fort Wingate near Gallup to White Sands Missile Range, approximately 200 miles.

Fortunately, a viewer took a video of the Fort Wingate launch and it is posted at KOAT.

To view it, go here.

Oh, well. There will be other missile launches in the future. I've already seen some from Vandenburg Air Force Base in California many times.

No comments:

Search This Blog