"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, October 21, 2019

Six Mile Canyon - Cibola National Forest

Above, a small valley meadow in Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Ever since I moved to Jamestown, New Mexico from California in February 2018, I've always had in mind about getting some sort of off-road or OHV (off highway vehicle) to drive around the back roads of Cibola National Forest, which backs up against Jamestown to the south.

First, I had in mind a Joyner off-road vehicle. But the $9,000 price tag, although I could afford it, was off-putting.

Above, fall colors are found about 2 1/2 miles from McGaffey. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, I bought a Coleman 196cc Extreme Mini Bike, which I enjoy riding around the area. I even had a custom-made scabbard for my Winchester 94 rifle for the mini bike to take to our community's shooting area in a section of the national forest.

Above, the scabbard on the roll bar support. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

But, before I took the mini bike to the shooting area, a 1952 Willys Jeep M38A1 fell into my lap at a price I couldn't refuse. I bought it and attached the scabbard to the Jeep's roll bar support.

Since I bought the Jeep, I have been spending quite a bit of time in the Six Mile Canyon are a of Cibola National Forest driving around and exploring. It is a Jeeper's paradise. There's several kinds of terrain to explore, such as hills, meadows and forested areas. It is nicely located next to our
community.

Above, the signs at the gate to Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The area does have bear, cougars, deer and elk. It also serves as grazing range for a local rancher's cattle.

The map below is of the area of Six Mile Canyon/Cibola National Forest. I added the text. The map should have placed the "Jamestown" location further north and next to Interstate 40.



Six Mile Canyon Road begins in Jamestown and parallels along Interstate 40 for about a mile and then turns south and into the canyon. There are other roads that branch off from Six Mile Canyon Road. I have explored some of them.

Generally, one has the area all to themselves but occasionally will run into other Jeepers and off-roaders.

Above, mule deer in the forest. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Six Mile Canyon Road does lead all the way up to McGaffey, which has a lake and campgrounds. It reminds me a lot of Big Bear in Southern California.

Above, one of the hills in Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


The Cibola National Forest closes for the winter on December 15 (or possibly sooner if the weather changes) and re-opens March 31.

So, while I can, I plan on more driving inside until it closes.

No comments:

Search This Blog