"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Finally Saw The Comet!

Above, before the comet appeared. It was actually to the left of the big cloud. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Tonight I managed to luck out when the clouds broke away from the northwest for me to be able to see Comet NEOWISE.

I brought out a chair and sat at the end of my driveway to view it.

Once the sun went down, all I had to do was to look below the Big Dipper to find the comet. To the naked eye, it was more like a smudge. But with binoculars, I was able to make out the corona and its tail.

Above, the house and garage from my viewing position. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It was too faint to take any photos of it with my digital cameras. If I had film (and a fresh battery), I would be able to set my old Olympus OM-1 film camera on a tripod to take time exposures of it. I did this back in the 1990s when Comet Hale-Bopp was in the night sky. That comet was much brighter and was easily seen, even within the bright lights of downtown Los Angeles.

Above, one of my photos of Comet Hale-Bopp. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Comet NEOWISE's tail was longer and thinner than Hale-Bopp's.

I will bring out my telescope tomorrow for some (hopefully) better viewing, provided the clouds cooperate. While I was out tonight, I saw occasional lightning flashes to the south.

No comments:

Search This Blog