"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Anthony Berger and Abraham Lincoln

Above, the Lincoln print hanging in my bedroom Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Last night, I was watching the Steven Spielberg film Lincoln (2012) starring Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones.

Afterwards, I was looking at the framed Abraham Lincoln painting print I have hanging in my bedroom and wondered who painted it. I bought it at a garage sale years ago and thought it may have been hung in a schoolroom somewhere. It is 10.5 x 13" in size. My Internet search yielded no answers as to the identity of the artist, but I did find that the portrait was based on a photograph taken on February 9, 1864 by photographer Anthony Berger. 

Above, the Lincoln photograph by Anthony Berger.

Berger took a number of photographs of President Lincoln on that day. Two of them were used for the five dollar bill. The one on the current five dollar bill is the same pose as the print in my bedroom.

Above, the current five dollar bill with the Berger Lincoln image.

Above, a 1953 Silver Certificate five dollar bill with an Anthony Berger-based Lincoln portrait.

I did find a webpage, that details the photographic history of the February 9, 1864 photographic session with Berger, February 9, 1864: Lincoln’s Magical Photographic Session with Anthony Berger. It is an interesting read and I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Search This Blog