"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Latitude 20°

This week's Classic Rock Music Monday focused on the Mike Curb Congregation.

I once saw them perform at Latitude 20°, a Polynesian restaurant and nightclub in Torrance, California around 1975. The Congregation jogged a memory of Latitude 20°.

A group of us used to go there back in the 70s. It closed in 1980, to be replaced by a Country nightclub that was short-lived called Waco's (during the Urban Cowboy fad). I think the location is now a parking lot. They had good food and Mai Tai cocktails. 

According to Wikipedia:

The Mai Tai is a cocktail made of rum, Curaçao liqueur, orgeat syrup, and lime juice. It is one of the characteristic cocktails in Tiki culture.

Remembering Latitude 20°, I took a look through Google and found some vintage cups for sale on eBay. 

Above, the cup I bought today on eBay. Photo by seller.

I found this one for $40. There was another one offered for $50, but it had a chip at the the bottom of it. I bought the one offered for $40. I tried buying one years ago by a vendor, but the deal fell through and the vendor was non-responsive to my queries.

Looking further, I saw some photos of Latitude 20° along with menus, advertisements and other cups. It was known as The Polynesian under prior owners.

Here's a sampling:


Above, the restaurant when it was The Polynesian. An undated postcard.

Above, an advertisement for Latitude 20°.

Above, a Latitude 20° matchbook.

Above, Latitude 20° menu.


No comments:

Search This Blog