"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, December 17, 2023

The .30-30 Winchester Cartridge


It is interesting that a bullet first created in the late 19th Century is still very populat among hunters and plnkers. 

There are still rifles being made that take the .30-30 Winchester cartridge by such manufacturers as Winchester, Marlin and Henry.

American Hunter takes a look at the .30-30 Winchester cartridge.

They begin with:

It was my first deer season, just barely sixteen years old, and I had sat still where my dad had put me from daybreak until 10 a.m., when I knew Grumpy Pants would come pick me up. I heard him walking down the logging road, and turned to express just how cold I was. To my great surprise, it wasn't dad, it was four does, just strolling along as if there wasn’t a care in the world. I also saw dad about 75 yards behind them; I motioned him to stop, and he indicated to me that I needed to shoot one of the does. I raised the Winchester Model 94 to shoulder, leveled the iron sights on the doe’s shoulder, and squeezed the trigger. My dad actually watched me take my first deer, and I'm really not sure which of us was prouder.

Three decades have passed since that small doe fell to my rifle, and dad and I have done a lot of hunting together, around the country as well as around the globe. Both of us took our first deer with a .30-30 Winchester, and both of us hold that cartridge in a special place. Thirty years after I took that deer, the .30-30 remains in the top ten of Federal’s sales, and new rifles are continually produced for the veteran cartridge. So, I pose to you: why would a cartridge from 1895 still be so popular in this modern era? We have all sorts of cartridges; fast ones, slow ones, fat ones, skinny ones, short ones, long ones, belted ones, rimmed ones and list goes on. Why would a short, slow, rimmed cartridge hang on the way the .30-30 Winchester has? There are several identifiable reasons.

To read more, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog