The entertainment world (especially Country Music) was shocked by the passing of singer/songwriter/actress Dolly Parton at age 80. It is said she passed away from cancer, which she kept private.
If anyone can be called the ultimate mega-superstar, it was Parton. Her story is the definitive rags-to-riches story.
Yes, I liked her music and her sense of humor. I admired her business prowess. I wasn't a big fan in the sense that I followed her career. That is why I am surprised at my reaction to her passing. Admittedly, I got a little teary-eyed at the news of her death. She seemed ageless even though she was 80. While it is sad that she is no longer with us, 80 is not a bad run.
The reaction to her passing crossed all spectrums. Everyone loved Dolly. She never alienated anyone. In fact, she believed in keeping her political views to herself as she was "only an entertainer." Many should follow that example.
The first Dolly Parton song I remember hearing was "Jolene" in 1974. I have a copy of the single, which is the only Dolly Parton record I have. That is why I chose a video of Parton performing it on Porter Wagoner's show for this blog post.
For those who would like to delve into more details of her career, I recommend getting the DVD box set of Ken Burns's Country Music by PBS that came out about eight years ago.
It is indeed a fitting tribute that President Trump ordered the flag to be at half-staff for seven days. If anyone deserves the honor, it is Dolly Parton. She will be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment