| Above, one of Key West's feathered inhabitants wandering in a restaurant. Photo by Armand Vaquer. |
Back in 2019, a friend and I took a cruise to Havana, Cuba. Along the way, we stopped in Key West, Florida for a few hours.
While in Key West, I took a tour of the Hemingway House and toured the Shipwreck Museum along with shopping.
I stopped at a bar/restaurant for a break. While there, I noticed chickens walking around the tables.
Southern Living posted an article on Key West's famous wild roosters that wander the streets.
They begin it with:
If you’ve ever strolled the quirky streets of Key West, you’ve seen them. Between pastel homes, Duval Street bars, palm trees, and the Southernmost Point, a population of loud, proud roosters struts and scratches across roads, down sidewalks, and even, occasionally, through traffic.
Florida’s version of pesky pigeons in city parks, the free-roaming roosters and hens of Key West are as naturalized a citizen as any, and a colorful symbol of the freewheeling spirit of the Conch Republic. Sometimes celebrated, always tolerated, the wild birds are as much a part of Key West as sunset celebrations and key lime pie.
To read more, go here.
No comments:
Post a Comment